Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42673

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Cool. If this is your stock-standard stock, I am impressed. I have seen my share of shops and most of it is cooky cutter, which this does not seem to be.Personally I would style the canopies differently, but I suppose that gives one a bit to do.

Which country are you located?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42675

• Dead Tree Clan
  • Thanks received: 5

Cool. If this is your stock-standard stock, I am impressed. I have seen my share of shops and most of it is cooky cutter, which this does not seem to be.Personally I would style the canopies differently, but I suppose that gives one a bit to do.

Which country are you located?

Thank you. We are located in Surrey, BC Canada. Currently, we don't have a website and are just starting to put together a FB page, however it is still work in progress. We've never done any online type sales or advertising, our customers have always been through word of mouth or the local bonsai clubs and associations. Here are a few more pics from our private collection. The Hemlock is approximately 1000 yearls old. The group planting often goes on display. Yeah, I know, they need some weeding.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42676

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
dream shattered
Being in Europe, I will not have access to your trees I am afraid. Sigh.
But.. please do start a thread on the steps from cutting to sellable material. I think many here would benefit. Regardless of how the wire is applied. I was reprimanded during a workshop this weekend for re-using and sloppy wiring. Never understood. The focus should be on whether the branches can be placed where needed, without overl damaging the tree. Only for exhibitions is neat wiring really a must, in my eyes..

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42677

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

The Hemlock is approximately 1000 yearls old. The group planting often goes on display.

They are both very nice bonsai.
I don't know about the age of the hemlock (it looks very old indeed), as I have been many times to Japan nurseries, and it is very difficult to see bonsai older than 300 years.
Impressive.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42679

• Dead Tree Clan

The Hemlock is approximately 1000 yearls old. The group planting often goes on display.

They are both very nice bonsai.
I don't know about the age of the hemlock (it looks very old indeed), as I have been many times to Japan nurseries, and it is very difficult to see bonsai older than 300 years.
Impressive.

Thank you. We have (2) that are about 1000 years and (3) about 600 years.

Speaking of other nurseries, I don't think you'll find the brand of Akadama soil that we stock, sell and use on our trees.

Notice the double red line?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42680

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Speaking of other nurseries, I don't think you'll find the brand of Akadama soil that we stock, sell and use on our trees

Unfortunately I don't buy Akadama (or Kanuma) from Canada.
It's way too far from Brazil and the shipping + duties aren't worthwhile.

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42681

• Dead Tree Clan

dream shattered
Being in Europe, I will not have access to your trees I am afraid. Sigh.
But.. please do start a thread on the steps from cutting to sellable material. I think many here would benefit. Regardless of how the wire is applied. I was reprimanded during a workshop this weekend for re-using and sloppy wiring. Never understood. The focus should be on whether the branches can be placed where needed, without overl damaging the tree. Only for exhibitions is neat wiring really a must, in my eyes..

Hopefully, if you're ever out here, please do drop by, we will certainly make your stay pleasant, you'll want to spend hours walking around and looking at our trees.

We have given many classes and provided many demonstrations of cutting and wiring. No one ever gets reprimanded for such petty things. We encourage rather than berate.

The Bonsai tree enthusiast is an artist and a grower. Whatever it takes to fulfill the vision of the tree is first and foremost.

We usually don't put wired trees out for display unless for a reason.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42682

• Dead Tree Clan

Speaking of other nurseries, I don't think you'll find the brand of Akadama soil that we stock, sell and use on our trees

Unfortunately I don't buy Akadama (or Kanuma) from Canada.
It's way too far from Brazil and the shipping + duties aren't worthwhile.

I can understand that. Do you have a source in Brazil for quality soil?

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42683

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Brazil has the biggest Japanese population (first, second and third generation) outside Japan, and most nurseries are owned by Japanese bonsai growers.
Usually we can't bring soil or fertilisers from abroad, but Japanese descendants can, and they do.
So the answer is yes, I can buy the good stuff here. It's expensive, but less than buying it from Canada I guess.
Last november I managed to bring in a big pack of BioGold from Tokyo/Saitama among other bonsai goodies, and it will last for a while, I hope.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42684

• Dead Tree Clan

Brazil has the biggest Japanese population (first, second and third generation) outside Japan, and most nurseries are owned by Japanese bonsai growers.
Usually we can't bring soil or fertilisers from abroad, but Japanese descendants can, and they do.
So the answer is yes, I can buy the good stuff here. It's expensive, but less than buying it from Canada I guess.
Last november I managed to bring in a big pack of BioGold from Tokyo/Saitama among other bonsai goodies, and it will last for a while, I hope.

That's good news! We get a lot of complaints about the qualify of Akadama people are buying on the internet, I think it really discourages a lot of folks from using it.