Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42685

• leroycoutts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 25
dont worry... these are folks from Trump's America... and they believe that only they can fix it all... know it all... people forget to respect the fact that different people work differently and what may be pleasing to some may not be to all.. and that's fine..

That said, there are many nurseries here in Asia that also sell dead bonsais for aquarium use. They boil the dead wood for 4-5 days so that it soaks and drops down in the water... one of the largest galleries in Singapore (Bonsai Gallery) that deals in trees exclusively from Japan does this, and I have seen a full section of their nursery dedicated to dead trees that are sold as aquarium decorations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Dead Tree Clan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42691

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927
Cool hemlock :)
I would like to learn how to determine age of still living trees.
Could you please tell us how you came up with an idea that this hemlock is over one thousand years old?

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42693

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I would like to learn how to determine age of still living trees

Easy.
Start by cutting the trunk in slices.
Count the bark rings.
OOOPS!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Madartej21, Felidae

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42694

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Cheers Clicio, but I would hate ending another of my threads here with "this one is dead" message :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42695

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
Now I understand.

They chop the tree to count rings. Then it dies obviously so it can be sold to aquarium use :cheer:

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42698

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Cheers Clicio, but I would hate ending another of my threads here with "this one is dead" message :)

Normal trees, they use a corer, and take a sample:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrochronology#Sampling_and_dating

In other cases, trees grown in similar location can provide an estimate of growth speed. And once a tree is reduced in size, the branches are used to calculate the average thickening of the tree per year, by counting annual rings. This is then extrapolated to the current trunk. It is a guestimate, or a best estimate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mimo, Madartej21, Clicio, Felidae, Dead Tree Clan

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42701

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanx LB :)
I am also interested in how the owner of hemlock estimated it and the origin of the tree.
It looks like a recent yamadori.
Did they collect it themselves, or bought it somewhere else and took the seller word for it .... etc.
No harm intended, just interested.
I would also like to know how the bonsai nursery in Canada operates - do you sell imports? Or do you collect trees yourselves? Or grow them and shape them over the years? Or all of the above?

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42713

• Dead Tree Clan
  • Thanks received: 5

Normal trees, they use a corer, and take a sample:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrochronology#Sampling_and_dating

In other cases, trees grown in similar location can provide an estimate of growth speed. And once a tree is reduced in size, the branches are used to calculate the average thickening of the tree per year, by counting annual rings. This is then extrapolated to the current trunk. It is a guestimate, or a best estimate.

True, there are techniques to estimate a trees age without falling it. We used the tried and true method, count the rings. Our Mountain Hemlocks were harvested from atop the mountains here in British Columbia. It's very easy to find other trees that were damaged or fallen. We cut one in half and sent it to have the rings counted with a microscope at the local university. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mimo

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42714

• Dead Tree Clan

Thanx LB :)
I am also interested in how the owner of hemlock estimated it and the origin of the tree.
It looks like a recent yamadori.
Did they collect it themselves, or bought it somewhere else and took the seller word for it .... etc.
No harm intended, just interested.
I would also like to know how the bonsai nursery in Canada operates - do you sell imports? Or do you collect trees yourselves? Or grow them and shape them over the years? Or all of the above?

Hi!

Yes, we export our trees anywhere they are allowed to be imported, we have all the usual government permits and clearances already in place. All of our Black Pines, Austrian Pines, Red Pines, White Pines, Junipers, Cypress, Larch and Spruce (Group plantings) were grown from seed. All were grown, shaped and tended to these past many decades by us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mimo

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use 5 years 9 months ago #42715

• Dead Tree Clan

dont worry... these are folks from Trump's America... and they believe that only they can fix it all... know it all... people forget to respect the fact that different people work differently and what may be pleasing to some may not be to all.. and that's fine..

That said, there are many nurseries here in Asia that also sell dead bonsais for aquarium use. They boil the dead wood for 4-5 days so that it soaks and drops down in the water... one of the largest galleries in Singapore (Bonsai Gallery) that deals in trees exclusively from Japan does this, and I have seen a full section of their nursery dedicated to dead trees that are sold as aquarium decorations.

Thank you sir!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leroycoutts