Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 11 years 1 day ago #8713

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy adele glad to have you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduce yourself! 11 years 1 day ago #8717

• ranjitrajkumar
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi to all the great Artists here,

My name is Ranjit, I am chronologically 36 years old, but 18 till I die ,
I am from Bangalore in India, which is in the southern part of the country.
I have been dabbling with bonsai's for as long as i can remember and have killed more plants than I have grown due to lack of knowledge and information.
that being said, I have found your website and forum and it is one of the best places with the wonderful people in the back ground offering such a vast amount of knowledge and information, while keeping it all freely accessible. Hats off to everyone that made this possible.
I have attached a couple of pictures of some of the trees that I have. any advice is welcome, always. Thanks in advance.

the first pic is a fruit tree called Star fruit
the other two are Ficus

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Introduce yourself! 10 years 11 months ago #8725

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
howdy ranjit and welcome...as for advice some specific questions would be good it seems you have a good handle on the growing partof bonsai :P

Introduce yourself! 10 years 11 months ago #8732

• Youri1995
  • Youri1995's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Welcome Ranjit to the forum! :)

You got some nice trees there. It's great to see them standing outside as we need to keep our Ficus inside because of the colder climate (The Netherlands).

Introduce yourself! 10 years 11 months ago #8734

• EJACTJo
I'm Christine, I'm 19 and have been interested in bonsai for years. Earlier today I ordered a juniper jana starter set, a pair of tools, and fertilizer, and cant wait for them to get in so I can get started :3 :)

Introduce yourself! 10 years 11 months ago #8742

• ranjitrajkumar
Thanks people. You are right Man of the Trees, i don't seem to have a problem growing them, its the shaping and training that i have an issue will i will post more specific questions with pictures later. :)

Introduce yourself! 10 years 3 months ago #10300

• Nehemiah
Hello everyone,

My name is Jeff and I live in Northern Virginia, about 40 mins south of the nations capital. I've always been interested in growing plant material, or at least trying to save things as the readily approached death, since I was a child. So as I became better and more focused I began to dabble in bonsai. I am currently 20 years old, a full time student and work part time at a local nursery so I find myself having less and less free time to attend to the plants I have, but nonetheless I make it work.

I get a lot of nursery stock from the dumpsters, (yeah I'm a dumpster diver and proud of it) and try and give them a last chance at life. That alongside digging up tons of plant material, I more or less jumped right into bonsai creation from old plant material that people no longer wanted.

I'm still new to bonsai though and have quite a bit to learn, in regards to everything, not just bonsai. I hope to become a landscape designer in the future and am working hard to learn through both experience and books.

As of now I have a ficus, 4 different types of junipers, a dawn red wood, 2 yews and 2 large Japanese maples that I plan to cut in March or so. Everything is most definitely Pre-bonsai as I am still learning styling techniques.

I have only one person who has any interest in bonsai that I know and most of the clubs are either too expensive for a college student or just a bit too far away. So this site and youtube and other online/books resources are the only way i have of checking my work unfortunately :/

Nonetheless I hope I can use this site to its full potential and gain knowledge while still not coming off like an idiot.

Jeff

Introduce yourself! 10 years 3 months ago #10314

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
welcome jeff...ha ha even the masters were newbs at one point no worries we have all been there

Introduce yourself! 9 years 11 months ago #10811

• JanMcMahon
Hello, my name is Jan and I live in the Netherlands. I'm 13 years old and started bonsai-ing around about 2 months ago. I joined this forum yesterday and there is a lot of helpful information and feedback here. I started with this hobby by killing a pine and some filberts :dry: , but now I've read some books, looked some stuff up on the internet and started working on a mugo pine. I think it looks ok. I also bought a cheap Chinese pepper mallsai and a good looking japanese white pine shohin bonsai from a bonsai nursery. I hope to further expand my knowledge on on this awesome hobby :)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Introduce yourself! 9 years 11 months ago #10835

• bearcatrailroad
Hi all, my name is Robert. I been reading about Bonsai for 2 weeks now, and em anxious to get a good size "tree" to get started.
I live in Central Florida, next to the Gulf Coast. How I got started in Bonsai is a funny(?) story...you see, I'm actually a Model Railroad hobbyist.
My wife one day saw this article about Miniature Gardening, and was hooked. She asked me to buy her some mini-trees...so I got her some small cactus, I then thought how fun it would be to get some Bonsai also.
After getting her a couple of trees, I went on-line to find out how to take care of them, and of course I so some how-to, and I said to myself, "I like!".
So now I'm a Bonsai-er...well at least on the road to it.
Besides breaking the ice with a Juniper, I want to do Azaleas, Wisterias, Willows, and the list goes on, but the first three (after the Juniper) are the ones.
Well, I hope I didn't bore you all...wait 'till I start asking question!