Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 5 years 6 months ago #44893

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Hopefully with more time and great advice they will become the trees I desire and imagined.

welcome alex,
first of all these trees need to go outside. which is why they are not excelling like you mentioned and they never will if keep indoors as a matter of fact might end up dying. i have a crepe myrtle myself (my profile image) it loves sun , mine receives lots of morning sun and is protected from hot mid day sun to protect it from leaf scorch. you have very young trees that WONT need any work done to them for years (maybe 5 or more) including wiring. Also need to Be in bigger pots, you are shooting for a much bigger trunk before anything and you wont get it with those tiny pots .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by crent89.

Introduce yourself! 5 years 6 months ago #44905

• Vaamat
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi, I'm Ryan from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. After seeing some inspiring exhibits (Phipps Conservatory's, among others). I started with just one tiny juniper twig and a simple dream of keeping it with me (in a bonsai pot) over the next 40 years or so until it became majestic. About one week of research later, I realized that wasn't how things work.

A year and a half later, I've killed the juniper and accumulated about 15 other trees: mostly assorted nursery stock and a couple plants from the local bonsai society. Most of them are still pretty rough: just trying to develop trunks and stay healthy—although, I've realized, Ive been using this as an excuse. It's much easier to say "It's not supposed to look good yet" than "This is the best I can do," isn't it? Still, it's fun to imagine the future potential.
So

Introduce yourself! 5 years 6 months ago #44913

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
My crepe myrtles are in pots sitting in full sun all day long, and have been all summer with temperatures over 100F. They really want some sun.

You do want to pay attention to the pots, and not let them heat up too much.

Introduce yourself! 5 years 6 months ago #44979

• Blackwood
  • Thanks received: 5
Greetings all,

Blackwood from Malaysia. Experience in bonsai = 0, agriculture = 0, gardening = 0. I am slowly learning about it.

I am currently growing junipers, ficus, bamboos and snowbush from cutting as experiment and learning. Full sized plants I currently have are bamboo (not sure what species, thin long bamboo around 4mm diameter at the base) and snowbush which I tried to rescue after first going wrong repotting from polybag.

I do not have any plant growing background, I have degree in Marine Biology and now working as Aircraft Engineer. Interested in gardening from previous year and bonsai this year because might be the name Blackwood. :D

Only have hands on on plants for bonsai around last month, I spent reading and learning from internet and experienced gardener for first half of this year.

Glad to know you guys and great to be in this community!

Introduce yourself! 5 years 6 months ago #44980

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Welcome to this forum, Blackwood, I suggest you take a look at the basics of the forum dynamics, and I hope you stay long here!
:-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackwood

Introduce yourself! 5 years 6 months ago #44983

• Blackwood

Welcome to this forum, Blackwood, I suggest you take a look at the basics of the forum dynamics, and I hope you stay long here!
:-)

For sure! Glad to follow the land rules!

Introduce yourself! 5 years 5 months ago #45340

• Corebonsai
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, I have been swimming through muddy water in my life lately, But I was fortunate to have found a book from the public library about Bonsai. I've read it twice. I have always been close with nature and like knowing that I have labored planting thousands of trees and plants all over the USA that continue to grow tall today. Never once did I think much on Bonsai though. Nature does teach us much when we choose to listen. I think Bonsai may help me in life now. So I am choosing Bonsai. Last week I made my first ever pot that will hold my first small tree that will maybe become Bonsai or not. I show photo of it, It is not traditional bonsai pot to my understanding. This pot made by my broken mind but has hope. Perhaps someday I make traditional pot when I have understanding of traditional. Many Thanks, E

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Introduce yourself! 5 years 5 months ago #45341

• Blackwood
Great E, good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Corebonsai

Introduce yourself! 5 years 3 months ago #46255

• AndyS
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello to all
I'm Andy living in the North West of the UK.
I've had a long fascination with the art and currently have about a dozen trees which I am attempting to grow into acceptable bonsai plus two "shop" bought gift trees which in time I'd like to try and correct (if possible)
I have already asked a couple of questions, and thank those that have replied.
I look forward to interacting with you all and appreciate any advice, views and opinions provided.
Kindest Regards
Andy

Introduce yourself! 5 years 3 months ago #46256

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Welcome to the empire Andy!