Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 4 years 7 months ago #52407

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hey, Green, welcome to the forum and when you feel like doing it, show us your trees!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreenGo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 7 months ago #52418

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
GreenGo,
Also, in Asheville there is a fall bonsai show which has some pretty good stuff, located in the NC Arboretum, which has a pretty decent small bonsai section.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 7 months ago #52420

• GreenGo
  • Thanks received: 6
Thanks guys. Do you live in the area?

Introduce yourself! 4 years 7 months ago #52770

• AnitaM
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello Future Bonsai Friends, I am from southern Ontario (Canada). My gardening evolution has moved me into Bonsai now since it’s the perfect opportunity to merge my interest in gardening & meticulous pruning, with my acute desire to create pleasing shapes with plants. So here I am! I have done some reading & research and decided that for my very first Bonsai, I will attempt to go with what’s already working for me as far as plant-growing success. I am choosing sub-tropical and will try a Bougainvillea. I seem to be able to get my bougainvillea to flower both outside in the summer and also inside for the winter while just sitting at the window looking southward, so I must be doing something right with it! You’ll be happy to know that I won’t be entertaining any mallsai. I’ll head on over to the other Forum topics and post my first question... selecting the best bougainvillea candidate to start with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Introduce yourself! 4 years 7 months ago #52771

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
Ahh, didnt saw this thread before.

I am Magnus from Sweden. I have been a plant enthusiast for 25 years and garden enthusiast for 15.

My main feature in the garden is a koi pond I have had for 12 years now.

My garden cannot fin many more trees, and those I have needs good pruning in order to keep the aestetics i am looking for.

3 years ago i started to keep trees in pots. Now I have about 25 seedlings, cuttings, collected and garden center materials. But most of my future materials is in my garden as ongoing air layering projects or in the forest as root shopped collection materials. Last summer I couldt help my self buying a material that has been grown for 20 years for bonsai. Althou it is a nice tree in my opinion, it lacks many of the desired bonsai features.

This forum have tought me that I am not really into bonsai. I am into miniatyrization of trees as a result of my collecting behaviour. However, my friends all call Them bonsai. But what do they know?

Br
Magnus

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 7 months ago #52778

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hey Anita and Magnus, welcome to the empire! Please share your trees and join in the discussions!

Introduce yourself! 4 years 7 months ago #52785

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Hello Future Bonsai Friends, I am from southern Ontario (Canada). My gardening evolution has moved me into Bonsai now since it’s the perfect opportunity to merge my interest in gardening & meticulous pruning, with my acute desire to create pleasing shapes with plants. So here I am! I have done some reading & research and decided that for my very first Bonsai, I will attempt to go with what’s already working for me as far as plant-growing success. I am choosing sub-tropical and will try a Bougainvillea. I seem to be able to get my bougainvillea to flower both outside in the summer and also inside for the winter while just sitting at the window looking southward, so I must be doing something right with it! You’ll be happy to know that I won’t be entertaining any mallsai. I’ll head on over to the other Forum topics and post my first question... selecting the best bougainvillea candidate to start with.

You might want to look at the International Bonsai Arboretum in Rochester, NY. We discuss winter and summer care a whole lot, and what you do depends a whole lot on your climate. In southern Ontario the climates would be similar and winter care would be similar.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 6 months ago #52963

• HempressBonsai
  • Thanks received: 2
Hello, my name is Darien and I’m from southern Ontario,Canada.

I’m very new to bonsai as I just got my first a week ago. Trying to learn as much as I can and eventually start a collection of bonsai. I’ve always wanted one and I’m super excited to start this journey!

I’m fairly certain my bonsai is a juniper and it’s very small. I got it at a local place called Colasanti’s and there were not a lot of options or sizes to pick from in my current price range.

I have a few succulents in a planter but I am a very inexperienced gardener. If anyone has any tips or good resources to research bonsai care I would appreciate it a lot ! Blessed be!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, ChrisInMS

Introduce yourself! 4 years 6 months ago #53070

• ChrisInMS
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello everyone! As my username suggests, my name is Chris, and I live in Mississippi, USA. Got started with bonsai a year ago, did some experimenting with common species in my area -- Chinese privet, sweet gum (Liquidambar), and inexpensive finds at Lowe's, such as juniper and Alberta spruce. I branched out a little to some more exotic kinds, namely Sequoiah, Cedar of Lebanon, and Dawn Redwood. There were some successes and a few failures, and much learning.

Now my focus is on the mighty Baldcypress (Taxodium distichum). It so happens that I've spent the last five years exploring the huge Pascagoula River Swamp in south Mississippi, looking for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. I haven't found it, but in the meantime I've found LOTS of baldcypresses, both babies and some ancient behemoths! It's become my favorite species of tree, and is (for me) a living embodiment of our beautiful, wild swamps. When I find the right forum topic, I'll share some photos of the trees from that place, and some of my bonsai.

So I had one baldcypress in my back yard that I'd planted five or six years ago, a purchase from Lowe's. It wasn't doing great, since it was in the shade of a much faster-growing water oak. I cut the top out of it late last summer, then dug it up and put it in a "pre-bonsai" pot last winter. It's done beautifully! Now I'm hooked on the species, and have access to many places where I can safely collect young 'uns from the wild Swamp.

I hope to learn more about this species and possible bonsai techniques I can use as I manage my growing baldcypress bonsai forest.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 6 months ago #53071

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hey Welcome to the Empire, Chris from Mississippi