Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #29629

• Pachycaul
  • Thanks received: 0
Greetings to all tiny tree lovers. Michael in NM here. Hoping to listen, lurk, and learn. Thanks to all who share their experience and adventures on this site. Currently in a (re)start mode in my longtime "fits and starts" approach to bonsai. My dark past is littered with countless victims of ignorance and impatience. Like the trees, this time I hope to grow slowly and live long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #29631

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

My dark past is littered with countless victims

I guess many of us have been tree-Dexters...
Welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommyboy26

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #29668

• Hutch
Hello,
My name is Wendy though I use a short form of my last name.. I live in Michigan and have a small beginner elm I'm playing with for now. I had planted a pine over 30 yrs ago and it simply never grew past 2 ft. I put it in a large outdoor pot for 5 of those years, with the intention of putting in a smaller one and training and then a few years later, my goats got out and ate it! I was crushed, to say the least. I look forward to learning what I can and getting to know you.

I have a tree that I will be asking questions about in another thread. I know it's far more an advanced project, but I don't want to see it go to waste.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #29685

• secretLOVER
Mornin'! I'm from San Diego, CA and recently bought a pro juniper nana from a local nursery. I ran into another deal that I couldn't resist but don't know the species. I've been researching and lurking for a while now.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #29707

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I ran into another deal that I couldn't resist but don't know the species. I've been researching and lurking for a while now.

Welcome to the forum. What you bought is a podocarpus. A tropical species that cannot stand frost, as far as I know.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #30022

• lostdog13
Hello everyone. I am brand new to bonsai. Wanted to get into the hobby for a long time, but didn't want to start something that I knew I would have to leave behind. Now we are settled back in the States, and my wife bought me a mountain juniper bonsai kit. Looking around the site now to see all of the info available to help me along the way.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #30023

• Blayd
  • Thanks received: 2
Guess I should introduce myself, as I've been lurking for months and months, its just the proper thing to do.
I'm Mike, located in the states, in VA.
My father was a student of Bonsai, I was always an admirer, but I just wasnt interested, nor in the position to take on such an endeavor like this. until a few years before his passing, when I was just getting my curiosity peeked. I currently own 15 very young trees, that will never be bonsai, but have been my muse's for learning and educating myself. Lets face it, I wont live long enough for these to become decent bonsai material,
I've been lucky in that I am somewhat educated in the basics of botany, but as we all can attest, bonsai is so much more. Lucky because I manage to keep these living things alive and at most times, well. But even that is a constant learning process. So in my introduction, I'd like to thank all those who share their knowledge.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #30036

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
Good to have you here Blayd and lostdog. Welcome.

Blayd, that is so nice you have a story on which you can start your bonsai adventures, thats special. Wish luck to both of you.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #30160

• Blayd
  • Thanks received: 2
Thank you for the welcome. I am also in contact with the local club here, which is having a guest speaker this weekend. His name is Arthur Joura. NC Arboretum's bonsai curator I believe . I was planning on joining this weekend, but alas, I have to work and wont make the seminar. I'm kind of eager, after many, many, many years of learning the basics of tree survival, care and some basic techniques of root pruning, potting and limb pruning, to start getting a formal training. My father took it very seriously as an apprentice, and I think I'm finally ready in my old age, to do the same. Thanks again,.

Last edit: Post by Blayd.

Introduce yourself! 7 years 1 month ago #30183

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70

Thank you for the welcome. I am also in contact with the local club here, which is having a guest speaker this weekend. His name is Arthur Joura. NC Arboretum's bonsai curator I believe.

Arthur is an amazing guy and very bright. I have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and even working beside him some. He is close friends with my friend and mentor. It really sucks that you have to work.