Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 4 years 5 months ago #53914

• vhoulio
  • Thanks received: 11
Hi everyone!
I would like to tell you a few things about me, so we can get to know each other better. I have been living in Greece, on the island of Antiparos. I have studied landscape architecture at the Agricultural University of Athens and I work in the gardens(construction and caretaking) and in the care and cultivation of fruit trees fields. Planting, transplanting, grafting have been done on several thousand plants , but in the field of bonsai I am "seedling".
I hope through this space, I will get the knowledge i need so that I can create my own bonsai.

Thank you very much everyone !!!
Vasilis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 5 months ago #53915

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Welcome to.the forum vhulio! Please feel free to join the discussions and post some of your trees.

Br
Magnus

Introduce yourself! 4 years 5 months ago #53916

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121
...and since I never really introduced myself from scratch in my copious 18 posts, let’s do it now.
Emanuele here (he/him, before you ask), Northern East Italy.
Been amazed by bonsai for a long time but been “practicing” only for the past 6-7 years or so, obviously killing many of my experimental plants.
I’m abroad for work about 1/4 of the year in 1 or 2 weeks periods, and have nobody who could take care of my plants while I’m away, so my hardest duty is to let them survive through automatic irrigation systems :-|
But I mostly like junipers, that can be very forgiving, so it looks like I’m managing somehow...

Learned through self-study and the amazing online courses here on BE, and that’s how I ended up here years ago, although rarely looked at the forum session and never participated to it until recently

Last edit: Post by BofhSkull.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 5 months ago #53919

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ah, north East italy. That was my goto place in spring several years. So beautiful area. Lucky you!

I am curious about your auto watering setup. Could you start a thread showing it?

Br
Magnus

Introduce yourself! 4 years 5 months ago #53925

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

Ah, north East italy. That was my goto place in spring several years. So beautiful area. Lucky you!

I am curious about your auto watering setup. Could you start a thread showing it?

Pretty sure it's not worth it: it's simple off-the-shelf stuff, not much to say about it.
The tricky part is not the system itself, but rather give each plant the mount it needs in each season, regulating each irrigator. That -like everything- requires experience.
And luck, as obviously a sudden change in weather condition (particularly sudden heat) is hard to react on for an automated system; but being away for 1-2 weeks at a time I'm usually able to compensate quickly enough.

In my dreams I can see myself building the automation needed to monitor and feed each plant according to its individual needs. That would be huge. But if I had that type of time I'd be simply maintaining the plants by myself :-|
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Introduce yourself! 4 years 5 months ago #53934

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have a little mechanical devise that regulates water amount according to temperature. It is ment for greenhouse and not yet tested. Once I have a system set up, I will post on it.

Br
Magnus

Introduce yourself! 4 years 5 months ago #54004

• Sempervirens
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the site and forum and excited about joining the community! I've had an interest in Bonsai for quite a while, but have just recently moved to a place with more agreeable climate (California) and space ( I now have a balcony and windowsills!).I've joined local bonsai clubs and am always looking to broaden my contacts and skills!

All the best
-B

Introduce yourself! 4 years 4 months ago #54624

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Therefore I want to make the room where I work from really green

But now that I have read through this website and forum, I'm getting a little afraid. Bonsais seem really hard to handle.

You write you want to make your room green, so I assume you want to grow bonsai indoors? There are trees that survive indoors (subtropicals/tropicals) but keeping them healthy indoors is much harder than growing a tree where it belongs: outdoors.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 4 months ago #54625

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Bonsais seem really hard to handle. And if I spend a lot of money on one, I don't want him to die.

Hello Moritz, welcome to this forum.
It is not impossible, but hard to keep bonsai inside.
In Germany is worse (colder, longer winters, wetter) than in California, but as Auk said some tropicals can be grown indoors.
I am lucky, I live in Brazil so I can keep some Ficus, Elms, Jabuticabas and Barbados Cherries inside (by an open window full of sunlight).
Let us know what you decided to do.

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 4 months ago #54667

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello again

Just want to let you know that I have been taking a sabbath from the forum after a mutual agreement with Oscar. We have had a fruitful discussion about how and what för successful reentrance to the forum.

I would like to Thank Oscar for professional handelling of this case.

The New tropfrog is back, not to confuse with the old one.

Nr
Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar, Clicio